The Young Oncologists Committee (YOC) provides opportunities to strengthen the skills, knowledge and expertise of Young Oncologists (YO), while providing a platform for networking with other young medical oncologists and oncology professionals.
The YOC creates and implements educational programmes and career development activities aimed at addressing the medium, and current long-term issues associated with the daily practice of YOs.
Activities and Responsibilities of the YOC:
- Integrating the activities of the YOC into those of ESMO with the objective of developing Europe's oncology leaders of the future
- Developing the ESMO YO Track for ESMO Congresses and ESMO tumour-specific meetings
- Actively contribute to development and implementation of the YO4YO Virtual Session Series, Virtual Mentorship Programme and YO4YO Podcast Series
- Informing the ESMO Executive Board about career development issues that YOs are faced with
- Enhancing YO expertise for future practice and career development
- Creating a global YO network where common issues can be shared and debated
The YOC members will preferably have a close relationship with the national YO group or activities of the national society and be actively engaged with ESMO activities.
Application is closed
Members work on a voluntary basis; the YOC have up to two face to face meetings per year and work in between meetings is carried out by video conference and email. The appointment will be for a mandate of two years (from 1 January 2022 until 31 December 2023) and may be extended for an additional two terms.
- Be an ESMO Member (in good standing)
- Be under 40 years of age
- Be a medical or clinical oncologist either in training or have completed specialisation
- Have good communication skills in English
- Have good networking skills
Candidates must not:
Currently hold a position in a for-profit healthcare organisation (excluding healthcare professionals in hospitals), pharmaceutical, diagnostic, biotechnology, medical technology and research, commercial medical education company or organisation, whether paid or not (except as a member of a scientific board or advisory board)
The candidate should be able to demonstrate that they:
- Are committed to the strategic goals, values and vision of ESMO
- Make an active contribution to ESMO’s mission
- Show unquestionable commitment to the highest level of professional and personal ethics
- Are willing and able (in terms of time and knowledge) to accept the workload and responsibilities inherent to this position; and create a positive atmosphere for constructive teamwork
The candidate, as a condition of appointment, acknowledges that they:
- will, if selected, resign/withdraw at the latest by the start of the term of office from any employment or leadership position as an officer or in a body of any international medical professional society, research group, foundation or charity, whether paid or not, if this position adversely affects ESMO’s interests according to the Executive Board’s evaluation.
- Will complete the ESMO Declaration of Interest Form
How to apply
Only applications submitted via this form and before the deadline will be considered. You will need to provide the following:
- Motivation Letter including how you could contribute to the group in terms of new ideas
- CV with list of publications
- Details of your involvement with ESMO
- Details of involvement with your national society and national YO group activities (if there is a YO group in your country)
Applications will be reviewed by the Young Oncologist Committee and new members will be proposed to the ESMO leadership for approval. In the selection process we will be looking at:
- Compatibility with the job description
- Motivational letter and your initiative to drive projects and work with others in a group.
- Network with young oncologists in your country
Preference will be given to applicants working in countries which are NOT covered by the current members of the Young Oncologists Committee.
Applicants will be informed of the outcome by January 2022.
Not for you but know someone that you think would be a perfect candidate for the YOC? Please use the share options at the top right corner of the page and encourage them to apply.